Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Cassingle Flashback!

Dug into my cassingle shoe box again, and randomly came out with this nice little gem from 1992. A cover of the Dusty Springfield classic.

Am I The Same Girl - Swing Out Sister (1992, Mercury Records)



Swing Out Sister were a British pop music duo consisting of Corrinne Drewery and Andy Connell. They are probably best known Stateside for their only U.S. top ten hit, 1986's "Breakout". Their sound is really poppy yet with a jazzy sort of sensibility. Heavy on horns. Lead singer Corinne Drewery's voice is quite smooth and serviceable and works with the material.

Completing the first side of the cassingle, after "Same Girl", is a little preview sampler including the songs "Notgonnachange", "Who Let The Love Out" and "Understand". The flip side of this single was a remixed version of "Breakout" that clocks in at almost seven minutes.

What made me buy this one? Simply the fact that I so liked "Breakout". And I thought Corinne's look was really cool, and uber sophisticated.

Swing Out Sister still make music and continue to enjoy a rather ardent fan base outside the U.S.

I hope you enjoy this one, it'll get your toes tapping.

Am I The Same Girl...


And just because I like it, here's:

Breakout.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Classic rock, 70s pop, psychedelic rock, soul, r&b... The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, David Bowie, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, many more. Above all, though, I have a rock and roll heart.

And the hits just keep on coming...