Saturday, October 02, 2010

Teen angel, can you hear me?



I was listening to and appreciating the art of the "teenage death song" (or, thank you, Wikipedia, the "splatter platter"). I broadcast a couple on Blip.FM just a few minutes ago in fact and might go back and play more again later. I guess because once October rolls around I start thinking Hallowe'en and I think more macabre thoughts. Haha!

You know the songs. They were very popular in the 1950s and 1960s. There were even a few after that time. The bliss of young love, cut short by the spectre of Death. The mourning lead singer and the angelic sounding choruses. Why teens? Probably because at that age, you feel invincible. And what's more tragic than dying young?

You had motorcycle crashes!
"Leader of the Pack" by the Shangri-Las
"Terry" by Twinkle

You had car crashes!
"Last Kiss" by The Cavaliers (covered later by Pearl Jam)

Deaths involving the water!
"Endless Sleep" by Jody Reynolds

There was murder!
"Run, Joey, Run" by David Geddes

There was suicide!
"Patches" by Dickie Lee
"Ode to Billy Joe" by Bobbie Gentry

Teens and rings didn't always seem to end well did it?
"Tell Laura I Love Her" by Ray Peterson. Also car death. He entered a race to win money to buy his girlfriend a ring and it ended very badly.

These got so prevalent that the inevitable parodies came out:
"Leader of the Laundromat" by The Detergents
"I Want My Baby Back" by Jimmy Cross

And various and sundry others. There are of course also "death songs" in general not necessarily involving teens, but that's a whole 'nother thing.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can put together a "Teen Death Songs!" playlist and possibly try and help you if you want any downloads. Just leave a comment.

Just sweet sixteen, and now you're gone,
they've taken you away.
I'll never kiss your lips again,
they buried you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Classic rock, 70s pop, psychedelic rock, soul, r&b... The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, David Bowie, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, many more. Above all, though, I have a rock and roll heart.

And the hits just keep on coming...