Monday, June 30, 2008

An Appreciation of Tori Amos

I've shown appreciation for Tears For Fears in a previous entry. I think I'll continue it every now and then, bring up an artist I like and link you to some of their goodness like that.

This time? I'm picking Tori Amos because I've been listening to "American Doll Posse" quite a little bit since putting it on my iPod. You can see the persona of "Clyde" in this picture, and I relate to her I think the most of the posse at this point.



Anyway these are songs / videos of Tori's that I particularly like.

Bouncing Off Clouds




This song is attributed to Clyde on American Doll Posse. I love the video, if not for the pure reason that Tori is playing TWO pianos at the SAME TIME. That? Is fierce.

Make it easy
Make this easy
It's not as heavy as it seems
Wrapped in metal
Wrapped in ivy
Paint it in mint ice cream
We could be bouncing
Off the top of this cloud


Cornflake Girl

From "Under The Pink". Closed minded "cornflake girls" and open minded "raisin girls". Tori called herself a "raisin girl" but ironically appeared in a Corn Flakes ad for Kelloggs before she really hit it big. It's also said that this song was inspired from a book by Alice Walker called Possessing The Secret Of Joy which describes mothers in some cultures selling their daughters to men who would then subject them to "female circumcision". It's about betrayal between women.

Caught A Lite Sneeze

From "Boys For Pele". About her brief affair with Trent Reznor thus the line "Made my own pretty hate machine"?

Code Red

From American Doll Posse. A live clip because she's AMAZING live. Just watch her!!!!!!! There are quite a few live clips of her on You Tube, so look 'em up.

A six pack of Coke and a bottle of Jack
"whatever you do" he said "look after that," yeah well
Being trusted and lusted
It could be worse than that


A Sorta Fairytale

From Scarlet's Walk. One of my fave tracks off it.

And i'm so sad
like a good book
i can't put this day back
a sorta fairytale
with you
a sorta fairytale
with you


Raspberry Swirl

Off "From The Choirgirl Hotel". I loooove this track. Simply? It's about orgasm. Pure sensual, driving, bass booming track. GO, girl. Weird video but 'tis cool.

Boy you better make her raspberry swirl
Things are getting desperate
When all the boys can't be men




Crucify

The song off "Little Earthquakes" that got me into her in the first place. Oh. My. God.

Sleeps With Butterflies

From "The Beekeeper". Look at my LastFM channel, and you'll see. It's my top played track. Lovely, lovely, lovely. So in love with it.

Some songs of hers to check out further:

Winter
Spark
Black-Dove (January)
She's Your Cocaine
Past The Mission
Silent All These Years
Cloud on My Tongue
Jackie's Strength
Baker Baker
And her cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is great.
There are so many more though.


Tori is an amazing artist in my book. Fiery, passionate, emotional, relatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Classic rock, 70s pop, psychedelic rock, soul, r&b... The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, David Bowie, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, many more. Above all, though, I have a rock and roll heart.

And the hits just keep on coming...